6 Unforgettable Lessons from My 20s on Surviving Bad Times



I am a millennial whose 20s were mostly a proven record of being present at the wrong place, at the wrong time.





The year 2009, I graduated with a degree in Commerce (Finance), some trepidation of the unknown (My Career and Future) and admitted levels of explosive temper. Above all, I was clueless about how to make through the economic recession to land a reasonable job with a reasonable pay. That was the first proof of my misfortune with timing and opportunity.

Couple more years down the lane, I was making presence on the Page 3 of the Dailies and Entertainment Section of the local news with my off and on modelling gigs and pageants. But despite my tenacity, discipline and merit, I didn't find the work that met my the target with the desired pay scale and frequency. I was too guarded and often missed out networking with the legit who's who of the town. This was a very visible evidence of my habits that made me miss most real opportunities.

Then, I suppose the high-watermark was in late 20's when I vehemently tried starting a Content Writing Business after quitting a high-pressured job in the editorial and my first break as a lead actor in a feature film. Once I was done with the shooting and dubbing for the film, I received an email by a New York-based startup to write the whitepapers and content for their website for very a good price.  That was my Eureka moment. I chose to be pragmatic by assessing all areas of my interests to select what ensured a steady pay over the occasional fantasy of finding opportunities from tinsel town to land on my lap. Many content projects that went on as two years of the 'hurried entrepreneurship' ( freelancing), taught me 6 priceless lessons about money, life and other choices which are relevant even in the current lock-down scenario.

Stoics and philosophers would view that journey as some form of spiritual-awakening. In my own words, I define those moments as infusion of common sense that may have been far too complex or perhaps even trivial to notice in our daily life.



Now, why so much context setting?  Because I am back again, wiping the slate clean, but with more tenacity than ever to brave 'the new world' after the lock down. Thankfully the learning from then seems to fit wonderfully well into my current 'mental map'. The forlorn state of the job market and global economic downswing are mostly like to arrive soon as some serendipitous learning to make up for whats unlearned.



  1. Your Life Revolves Around YOU and Your PRIORITIES: We are seeing many posts about self-care, self-love and focus on growth, upgrading skills, etc flooding the internet since the lock down. Much before social media gave this concept some kind of momentum, there have been countless examples of individuals and businesses that took an 'internal shift' to recover, grow and emerge stronger from disadvantageous times. Therefore, now is an opportune moment to set focus on life, health, family and real priorities. Rest all are just mind over matter!       
  2. Its All About Survival: Life or business going through any unfavourable situation have one common goal--survival. If you can manage the necessities (material, financial and emotional) that ensure your survival for the moment, you are sorted. You can only look ahead if you live through the present.  It's important to view each moment of your survival as a tiny step towards victory.    
  3.  How You Manage Money V/s How Much You Earn:  I have often observed that efficient money management is the key behind creating wealth from your earnings. Most salaried individuals with smart saving and spending choices seldom engage in impulse buying or have peer-pressure induced spending habits. While we all admit that its easy to feel influenced to spend on something we are unsure of, it is wise to reassess the ROI and our actual need of the hour. This style of thinking helps curb unnecessary spending and  manage finances regardless of the size of the pay check or frequency of earnings. Save your money for a rainy day, no matter how sunny or gloomy your life seems at the moment.   
  4. Think Jugaad and Practice Jugaad: Jugaad is the science of thrift. It is the most innovative and creative way to make do with what you have. It is my belief that Jugaad is an acid test to your decision making skills and ability to be resourceful when there is scarcity.  I have explained in depth about my Jugaad philosophies in one of  my popularly viewed responses on Quora.  Those Jugaad ideologies were battle tested and exercised forthrightly during those two years till learned the actual difference between things that are affordable and economical.
  5. Ignore Failure and Keep Trying: Winning is not essentially a prerequisite to get through times that are unfavourable to all. And failure seems more magnified and frustrating when things are not rosy. Guess what? Failing feels the same even when all is well.  I found that rather than subscribing to the fear of failure, letting go what is uncontrollable and developing persistence are two ingenious ways to gain control of your life. 
  6. Make Empathy and Compassion A Deliberate Choice: Empathy and compassion is most needed in times like this. Empathy helps understand what people are going through and compassion takes empathy to action. The thought, 'whether or not to invest oneself in considering how others feel' is a universal dilemma. Because we are all silently yearning for ourselves to be understood and empathized by others. But demonstrating a genuine level of empathy and translating it with relevant action has power to cause a positive shift in behaviors of others around you like a domino effect.  
 My two cents,  incredibly frustrating times can bring in a cascade of insecurities like a high tide. Just lie low to let the tide pass, so can you emerge safe again! But be warned, problems and bad times come and go.

What you do think? 








    

Comments

  1. Yes, your article elaborates beautifully on what focus we need in our lives. What should have been so was being lived wrongly until now. It's time we really took the efforts to value and cherish our lives.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Are there One-way Streets in the Professional World?

My Five Most Sensible New Year Resolutions that Made 2018 Special